The McConnell Electric Plant and Planning Mill (which was located in the McConnell block between the court square and Spadra Creek) provided electricity to the town of Clarksville until it burned in 1911.
After the McConnell Light Plant burned in 1911, Mr. A.B. Johnson put in a water tower and generator in his mill to supply power for the city's use.
In 1912, Clarksville Connected Utilities, formally Clarksville Light & Water Co. had the following ad in the Clarksville Democrat advertising the New Mazda Lamp: "For lighting large rooms, such as stores, churches, halls, etc. we have to offer the NEW EDISON TYPE C MAZDA, (made only in units of 200 candle power and larger) used only with special fixture (low in price) and this lamp is not only the most efficient lamp on the market to day in the way of cost for delivery of light, but is GUARANTEED to give at least 1000 hours actual burning service, (or will replace same) and also produce a light that is soft and white, the best known to-date. Ask us about it. We will take pleasure in installing these new fixtures at a price to you, that is actual cost to us."
From 1918 to 1928, The old steam plant was outgrown by the thriving city, and it was necessary for the city to purchase some electricity from the Mississippi Valley power company.
In 1928, the City of Clarksville was able to build a new light plant at a cost of $120,000. The new plant was powered by diesel engines, with a total capacity of 1,130 horsepower generated by three machines, or units.
In 1931, Clarksville decided to put in a new water plant, as the water supply was inadequate for the demands made by the enterprising and growing city. Two wells were built about three miles southeast of town with up-to-date filter plants that had a capacity of 750,000 gallons every 24 hours.
In 1947, Clarksville Connected Utilities was set up in its present form when the City Council appointed a Commission to oversee its operations. The Commission is an agency of the city, responsible to the citizens of Clarksville through the City Council, whose members the people elect. Commissioners are appointed for staggered five-year terms and serve without compensation. They are charged with the responsibility of administering the Light and Water Company in the best interest of the people of Clarksville.